Now THIS is how a politician should use social media.
Yesterday I tweeted the following:
A few hours later Garcetti replied:
I gave him my phone number and he called me immediately.
We talked over some issues: Walmart grocery store in Chinatown (I’m in favor, he opposes), height-restrictions in Hollywood, parking minimums in Sacramento. After about 15mins *I* had to go. (We were both calling from a car.)
Garcetti ended with “Well, now you have my cell number. Call me if you have any other questions.”
Your move, Wendy.
King For A Day
People often ask me what I would do if I were king for a day, so I decided to make a list. Items are in no particular order.
- Return to Clinton-era tax rates for ALL income levels.
- Institute a single-payer health care system similar to Canada (not single-provider like in the UK.)
- Dismantle the “submerged state” in order to finance universal higher education.
- Institute publicly financed elections (outlaw PACs & lobbyist-money.)
- Restrict campaigns to a certain length of time.
- Institute compulsory voting.
- End corporate-personhood.
- End oil, gas, and corn subsidies.
- Eliminate federal requirements for ethanol.
- Fund biofuel research - but not corn based.
- End tax breaks for religious groups and the property of their house of worship.
- End corporate-welfare like tax-breaks for entertainment and sports industry.
- Crackdown on corporate-crime
- End the war in Afghanistan.
- Remove defense-contractors from Iraq.
- End covert drone wars in Pakistan, Somali, Yemen, etc
- Guantanamo Bay detention camp
- Close overseas military bases.
- Prosecute those responsible for torture during Bush admin.
- End the war on whistleblowers who expose misdeeds of the govt.
- Repeal the Patriot Act.
- "Reset" airport security to pre-9/11.
- Expand environmental protections.
- Institute a carbon-tax.
- Mandate environmental cleanup for energy projects.
- Setup a yearly, percentage-based, rising gasoline tax.
- Double NASA’s budget, but cancel all manned space programs - leave it to private-sector.
- Cancel every military project that is more than 100% over budget.
- Ease the restrictions on workers ability the unionize.
- Institute automatic raise in minimum-wage tied to CPI.
- Institute a financial transactions tax.
- Increase infrastructure spending, focusing on multi-modal transport (high speed rail, light-rail, rapid-bus, bike lanes, etc)
- Abolish the death penalty.
- Institute a legally recognized “Right to Die”.
- Pass The DREAM Act.
- Increase federal funding for science research (embryonic stem cells, etc)
- Increase federal funding for public schools.
- End tax-payer funded “vouchers” for attending private schools.
- End the privatization of prisons.
- Encourage rehabilitation over incarceration.
- End “the war on drugs”.
- Restart the “war on poverty”.
- Institute stricter gun-control regulations.
- Legalize same-sex marriage at the federal level.
- Institute employment-protections and housing-protections for LGB&T.
- End athletics-based scholarships.
- Institute affirmative-action scholarships based on financial background.
- Institute income-proportionate traffic citations.
- Regulate the sale of snacks and sugary drinks in schools.
- Increase support for maternity/paternity-leave, and child care.